Who we are
Here at MHA, we take the time to create great relationships with our clients to become not just their trusted advisers, but valued partners that face the future together.
As a Top 13 firm of chartered accountants, tax and business advisers, we work in partnership with clients ranging from entrepreneurs and individuals to multi-national corporations. We work together to navigate an ever-changing business world and proactively identify the opportunities that tomorrow presents.
Leveraging our national network of offices, we offer a comprehensive range of financial and business strategy services to clients across the UK, enabling them to achieve profitable growth and build sustainable long-term success.
As a member of Baker Tilly International, we have a global reach that allows us to offer our insight and expertise wherever our clients need us to be. We believe this makes us a national and international partner of choice for entrepreneurs and multi-national enterprises across the world.
Our agile and responsive approach means we are always on hand to have the right conversations about with clients at the right time, allowing us to identify their goals and business needs both now, and in the future..
Purpose of the Role
To lead a large number of audit jobs, ensuring deadlines are met and compliant with necessary regulations. Completing the job before passing to the Manager for review.
- Produce a detailed audit planning memorandum, including details of any potential difficulties that may have been encountered during previous audits and ensure correct tests are applied to produce sufficient audit evidence, discuss with Partner/Director/Senior Manager/Manager
- Allocate sections to junior staff and brief on what is expected of them
- Answer queries from juniors throughout the audit
- Complete audits in accordance with MHA MacIntyre Hudson audit procedures, with assistance from more senior members of staff where required
- Monitor the progress of jobs, ensure that budgets are met, address any problems that are encountered to ensure that the audit is finished within budget and timeframe
- Check and supervise the work of more junior staff both on site and in office and complete any sections as necessary
- Ensure all hours worked on any client are recorded correctly, enabling a true reflection of the profitability of the job to be shown
- Complete analysis of items for tax
- Sign off audit sections, address any problems and/or queries and complete the file before passing it on to the Partner/Director/Senior Manager/Manager for review
- Completion of a job – tasks would include:
- filling in required documentation
- preparation of Key Issues Memorandum including commentary on accounts
- summary of outstanding points to managers
- final analytical review
- cast accounts, check referencing
- ensure lead schedules agree to accounts
- pass file to Manager for review
- clear all review points
- make any amendments necessary
- Draft letters to clients in relation to the audit/accounts
Supervision and staff development
- Provide technical advice and guidance to more junior staff and give detailed help and training as required, to ensure skills are improved to enhance future effectiveness
- Monitor the performance of staff working on jobs; including giving feedback after files have been reviewed and completing audit review form at the end of each job, noting any training and development needs that have been identified
- Decide on what to delegate to juniors
- Keeping track of time – where to cut back if need to
- Disclosure issues
- Judgement calls – if test does not produce the right results, what additional testing is required
Qualifications and Skills
- ACA or ACCA, fully qualified with practice experience
- 3 years + Auditing experience
- Competent planning and completion skills
- Computer experience – Sage, Excel, Word and ideally CaseWare (accounts and audit) and tax software
- Previous experience of supervising/mentoring junior members of staff
- Good up-to-date technical knowledge including recent developments in accounting standards
- Communication – oral and written, ability to deal with variety of people in different environments
- Organised – ability to deal with a variety of tasks
- Client focused
- Commercially aware
- Team building skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Be positive and committed to MHA MacIntyre Hudson in dealings with both clients and staff
What we can offer you
- Genuine work life balance.
- Accredited Investor in People.
- New and improved programme for Succession planning and supportive management structure to help you realise your potential.
- 33 days holiday including bank holidays, plus the opportunity to buy up to 5 days.
- Competitive salary.
- Amazing employee referral scheme, paying up to £4000 for a successful referral.
- Paid CSR time.
- Car lease scheme.
- And more!