Importing third country Iron or Steel products into the UK updated restrictions
Andrew Thurston · February 8th 2024 · read
Why Origin is so important?
Are you aware of the measures on the import of third country processed iron and steel?
Amidst the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, both the UK and EU continue to monitor and extend sanctions on Russian originating goods. Notably, as of 1st October 2023, the UK introduced a prohibition on the import of certain Russian iron and steel products processed in a third country or multiple third countries. But how far reaching is this new measure?
New measures on third country processed iron and steel
While measures have been in effect since 2022 regarding the importation of Russian origin iron and steel, the UK has expanded these measures. Since 30 September 2023 certain products, processed in a third country, containing Russian origin iron or steel are prohibited from entering the UK.
Basically, if you import a product that is manufactured from, or is processed into a product that falls under a Tariff Code listed in the legislation, you will need to ensure that the iron or steel is not of Russian origin. Examples of qualifying goods include:
- Wire of stainless steel
- Flat-rolled products of other alloy steel
- Tubes, pipes and hollow profiles, of cast iron
- Tube or pipe fittings e.g. “couplings, elbows, sleeves”, of iron or steel
- Structures and parts of structures
- Tanks, casks, drums, cans, boxes and similar containers, of iron or steel
- Nails, tacks, drawing pins, corrugated nails, staples and similar articles of iron or steel
- Screws, bolts, nuts, coach screws, screw hooks, rivets, cotters, cotter pins, washers
- Table, kitchen or other household articles (excl. Cans, boxes, articles of cutlery) of iron or steel
Any breach of these measures could result in criminal proceedings; so, it is critical that your company act now.
Customs and Excise DutyRead more about Customs and Excise DutyRead more
Get in touch
If you suspect your products will be subject to these new measures, please reach out to our Customs & Excise Duty Team. Our experts can provide guidance on the evidential requirements to ensure your business acts now to ensure it is compliant.Contact the team