Bringing a team of growth-minded industry experts who take an adaptable, dynamic approach to research and development tax planning.
Many companies miss out on R&D tax relief and lose the opportunity to reduce their corporation tax bills. MHA is here to change that.
Research and Development tax relief, or R&D relief, is often overlooked because of misconceptions over what activity qualifies as R&D. Our team of dedicated, adaptable advisors draw on years of experience and knowledge to best position your business to access cash flow benefits by reducing tax liability or claiming additional tax repayments.
We combine strategic thinking and creative planning to help you make considerable tax savings and adding value to your business by allowing you to focus on other areas.
Our Research and Development team advise on:
Help maximise qualifying income to be taxed at 10%
Advise on methods of income identification and tracking, and on R&D expenditure
Maximise claims for R&D-related costs
Optimise group IP holding structures and licences.
Research and Development Insight and Events
New R&D scheme helps ‘risk takers’ but still poses challenges due to contrasting nature of rules
SMEs badly short-changed by Autumn Statement R&D reforms
Autumn Statement 2023 first reactionsFull details
What are the 2023/2024 changes to the UK R&D Tax Relief Scheme?
What are the key changes to the UK R&D Tax Credit Schemes?
What are the tax implications if development costs are capitalised?
- We have extensive experience in securing R&D relief for clients across all sectors, most recently including engineering, pharmaceutical, healthcare, software and biotechnology and renewables.
- We are part of one of the world’s top 9 international networks as the UK member of Baker Tilly International: we can leverage the experience of the whole global network to help you.
- We are ambitious for our clients; we are not afraid to speak up when we see a better solution.
- We’re commercially minded, and we see our role as adding value and improving your bottom-line.
- We believe the only way to achieve long-term growth is to constantly evolve; we lead to build a more fair and sustainable future together.
- We build unparalleled relationships with our people, clients, and networks; founded on integrity and trust.
Our Research and Development team
Research and Development
Lots of companies aren’t aware they can qualify for R&D tax relief which allows them to significantly reduce their corporation tax bills. Many are carrying out qualifying R&D to stay ahead of the competition, but not recovering these costs and missing out on potentially thousands of pounds.
Our team of trusted advisors have experience working with a huge range of businesses from different sectors, advising them on the best way to claim R&D tax relief.
Patent Box is the government’s name for the system of charging lower rates of tax on profits from patents. It applies to patents granted in the UK and Europe, including those granted before Patent Box was introduced in April 2013. If you have patented products or are considering applying for patents, then understanding the process is essential, which is where we come in.
This government incentive scheme provides a tax discount to profits from patented interests, and we can:
- Help maximise qualifying income to be taxed at 10%
- Advise on methods of income identification and tracking, and on R&D expenditure
- Maximise claims for R&D-related costs
- Apply transfer pricing methodologies to value notional royalties
- Optimise group IP holding structures and licences