Who we are
Here at MHA, we take the time to create great relationships with our clients to become not just their trusted advisers, but valued partners that face the future together.
As a Top 13 firm of chartered accountants, tax and business advisers, we work in partnership with clients ranging from entrepreneurs and individuals to multi-national corporations. We work together to navigate an ever-changing business world and proactively identify the opportunities that tomorrow presents.
Leveraging our national network of offices, we offer a comprehensive range of financial and business strategy services to clients across the UK, enabling them to achieve profitable growth and build sustainable long-term success.
As a member of Baker Tilly International, we have a global reach that allows us to offer our insight and expertise wherever our clients need us to be. We believe this makes us a national and international partner of choice for entrepreneurs and multi-national enterprises across the world.
Our agile and responsive approach means we are always on hand to have the right conversations about with clients at the right time, allowing us to identify their goals and business needs both now, and in the future.
Purpose of the Role
To assist the Senior in completing the audit for larger clients and to be solely responsible for smaller audits. You will also be asked to prepare statutory accounts primarily for companies, also partnerships and sole traders. Additionally, you will prepare corporation tax, draft corporation tax returns with XBRL tagged accounts for review by our Tax team.
- Complete whole sections of the audit pack in accordance with MHA procedures and occasionally on smaller jobs act as senior, delegate to juniors and complete the whole file including notes/queries for Partner/Director/Manager.
- Complete all substantive tests with minimal supervision, delegate some elements of testing to more junior members of staff where appropriate and design specific tests if appropriate.
- Prepare clear logical schedules, fully cross referenced to supporting documentation and other sections of the audit file, ensuring that all amounts agree to lead schedules and the accounts.
- Resolve simple queries and refer more complex issues to more senior members of staff.
- Supervise more junior members of staff as appropriate, including checking their work and providing guidance as required.
- Manage own time and that of any junior staff, recognising any problems at an early stage to ensure that jobs are completed within budget.
- Review of junior staff work.
- Complete stock takes and write up detailed notes and results.
- Involvement in planning the audit on small jobs.
- Complete audit review forms on juniors.
Qualifications and Skills
- Studying professional stage ACA or ACCA, or AAT qualified and wishing to study professional stage ACA or ACCA – with experience in practice.
- Double entry bookkeeping skills.
- Basic tax knowledge – how to prepare corporation tax computations.
- Computer experience – Sage, Excel, Word and ideally CaseWare.
- Previous experience of supervising junior members of staff preferable (6-12 months experience).
- Good up-to-date technical knowledge including recent developments in accounting standards.
- Communication – oral and written, ability to deal with variety of people in different environments.
- Organised – ability to deal with a variety of tasks and managing a varied workload.
- Client focused.
- Commercially aware.
- Team building skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Be positive and committed to MHA in dealings with both clients and staff.
What we can offer you
- Genuine work life balance.
- Accredited Investor in People.
- New and improved programme for Succession planning and supportive management structure to help you realise your potential.
- 33 days holiday including bank holidays, plus the opportunity to buy up to 5 days.
- Competitive salary.
- Amazing employee referral scheme, paying up to £4000 for a successful referral.
- Paid CSR time.
- Car lease scheme.
- And more!
Our application form takes just a few minutes to complete and includes some diversity questions. MHA is a committed member of Access Accountancy and as such, we track our diversity stats and actively work to improve on these, year on year, looking at new ways to promote our roles to the widest audience. Any data collected is fully anonymised before sharing with any external parties, as per our Data Protection Policy and is not visible to hiring managers, or used in any way during the selection process.