UK Biotech Financing Report 2021
Posted on: March 15th 2022 · read
MHA is excited to share the latest UK Biotech Financing Report that was recently published by the BioIndustry Association (BIA) and Clarivate.
The report shows 2021 was the highest year on record for investments into UK biotech and life sciences companies.
Yogan A. Patel, member of BIA’s Finance, Tax & Investment Committee (FTAC) commented:
“The recent report into UK biotech financing has shown this sector is a very attractive sector for investors. There was a record breaking £4.5b raised in 2021 from IPOs, venture capital investment etc, which is a 60% increase from 2020 and over 16k% from 2012, when it was £261m. There is no reason to think investors will not keep investing in record numbers over the next few years as businesses continue to look to providing solutions for the ever growing health challenges. We see that UK will continue to have a thriving and international led life sciences sector and this was reinforced through the recent Government’s Life Sciences Vision and set-up of The Life Sciences Scale-Up Taskforce.”
Report highlights include:
- £4.5 billion was raised in public and private financings
- £1.7 billion (60%) more than in 2020.
- Venture capital financings totalled £2,518 million, an increase of 81% from 2020
- Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) totalled £1,304 million, an increase of 434% from 2020
- Other public financings raised £684 million